MEXICO CITY, Oct.20 (Reuters) – Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim’s Grupo Carso on Wednesday announced that it had signed a formal agreement with authorities in Mexico City to rebuild a section of the metro that collapsed in May, killing 26 people.
Earlier this month, officials in Mexico City said they were opening criminal cases against people and companies involved in the construction of metro line 12 and urged companies to quickly strike deals to regulation. Read more
Grupo Carso denied any responsibility for the accident. He said that despite the disagreement on the causes of the incident and in order not to delay further rehabilitation and reinforcement works, he “agreed to settle in advance the legal proceedings associated with this unfortunate event.” by inking Wednesday’s deal.
The company said it told the attorney general’s office that it wanted to participate in a compensation fund for victims of the crash.
The accident happened in May when an overpass and a train car on the line crashed into a flood of cars in the city’s southeast.
An independent auditor found missing bolts and poor welding contributed to the crash, results confirmed in a separate investigation by the Mexico City attorney general’s office.
Slim said his construction company, Grupo Carso (GCARSOA1.MX), which helped build the collapsed section, will repair the line at no cost to the government. The Mexican group Grupo ICA (ICA.MX) and the French Alstom (ALSO.PA) were part of the consortium that built the complete line.
Reporting by Anthony Esposito and Miguel Angel Gutierrez; Editing by Sam Holmes and Leslie Adler
Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.