At Elroy Air, we are building autonomous vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems that will change the way the world transports goods. Freight transport by air has so much potential! It’s much faster than by land or sea, but before recent developments in perception, autonomy, electric motorization and aerospace materials, air transport remained expensive. We will change that. And we solve big problems; the global commercial express logistics industry needs faster, better transportation and spends $140 billion a year, and our men and women in uniform need an unmanned air cargo delivery system reliable.
Our future partners and customers respond enthusiastically. As we prepare to fly our vehicles with customers, we are looking for people like you: teammates driven and excited by this mission and the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous air logistics system. You will play a vital role in bringing the Elroy Air system to the world.
Elroy Air is looking for a summer intern to join our design team! The internship is designed to give you exposure to the role of design in a growing aerospace startup environment. You would support the design team in areas such as visualization and model creation, helping to develop the user experience and concept of operations (CONOPS) for our freight systems and their daily operation, assisting our graphic design and branding team in their solidifying the corporate brand identity and general assistance to the company in its journey to flight testing our Chaparral aircraft systems.
You will also need to collaborate with other non-design team members in areas such as brainstorming, component sourcing, and planning. During your internship, you will witness other exciting projects taking place over the summer – a new test rig replicating Chaparral’s cargo handling system, powertrain and structural testing, and the final stages of assembly of the Chaparral cell.
What you will directly contribute to:
- Chaparral System – Exploration and Innovation within the Chaparral Cargo System
- Visualization Projects – Contextual Renderers / Display Models
- Project and Product Documentation – Contribute to the capture of various tests of the Chaparral system
Who are you:
- An undergraduate student in 3rd or 4th year studying industrial design
- Local in the SF Bay Area or opportunity to be local for the duration of your internship
- Very flexible and resilient mindset – priorities change quickly in scaling startups
- Legally authorized to work in the United States (F-1 visa holders are welcome!)
Our ideal candidate:
- Have at least 2 years of experience with Solidworks or Rhino3D
- Has experience using the Keyshot rendering suite
- Has experience using the Adobe Creative Suite
- Is able to use standard hand tools
- Rapid prototyping capabilities
Bonus points for:
- Passion in the world of aerospace, automotive or robotics
Logistics and what you can expect:
- You will be a paid temporary employee. Our summer interns will earn $12,800.00 over the duration of the 8 week program.
- Dates of the internship: from June 21, 2022 to August 16, 2022
- Full-Time Work: Our hours of operation are 9am-5pm Monday-Friday (F-1 students: please check with your CPT office to ensure you are eligible for full-time work before applying).
- Incredibly talented, diverse and kind colleagues – some of our team members are renowned industry experts in the fields of aerospace, robotics and advanced technology.
- A cohort of summer interns, with facilitated social and networking opportunities.
Application and interview process:
- Please submit your resume and portfolio via the link below – please include a cover letter outlining your education and how this opportunity will benefit your education and career development.
- You will receive a response from the hiring manager by May 13.
- Interviews will take place during the weeks of May 16 and 23.
- The job offer will be made on May 27.
Elroy Air values and strives to achieve diversity in its workforce and does not discriminate based on the identity of applicants, consistent with equal employment opportunity and federal laws, state and local. We define diversity as a variety of perspectives, life experiences and backgrounds that form a person’s identity. This not only includes gender identity and race, but also; ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parental status, veteran status, citizenship status or any combination of these characteristics.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t exactly fit our open role, many of our team members come from non-traditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened by E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected by US export control laws and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer of employment will be conditioned on any authorization required to receive software or technology controlled under such US export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.