LAS VEGAS (June 8, 2022) – The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and CPA Practice Advisor announced the recipients of the The most influential women in accounting of 2022 awards, which recognize professionals for their significant contributions to the field of accounting. The awards were presented at a ceremony during the AICPA ENGAGE conference at the Aria Hotel and Resort in Las Vegas on June 8, 2022.
Women are increasingly becoming the face of public accounting and financial management. The most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (2021: https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat11.htm) revealed that 62% of all accountant and auditor positions are now held by women . Women are also increasingly taking on leadership roles within companies. While only around 27% of corporate partners and directors are still women, they now make up a third of board roles, roughly double from a decade ago, according to 2020 data from Catalyst. .org (https://tinyurl.com/3t5pyw8h).
As new generations of professional accountants aspire to leadership roles in the profession, it is inspiring to look to those who have risen to those ranks before them. The AICPA and CPA Practice Advisor team up each year to honor these professionals as the most influential women in accounting, who have gone on to become the most influential leaders shaping the profession. While many are directly engaged in practice serving clients, others help lead the profession through professional organizations, as consultants, or in media, technology development or other influential roles.
Qualifications for the selection of the Most Influential Women in Accounting Awards, which have been awarded annually since 2012, include:
- She has been the driving force in creating a culture of excellence, innovation and inclusion. If she is a supplier, she has helped develop the technologies and solutions that will enable organizations to be more productive and profitable.
- She is one of the greatest leaders in the accounting profession and her leadership has had a demonstrable effect on the achievements of the organization with which she is associated.
- She is a mentor, godmother and role model, someone who stands out for her ability to encourage and help those around her grow and thrive.
- The work she does is influential and has a positive impact on the accountancy profession as a whole.
The most influential women in accounting of 2022:
- Lara Abrash, CPA – Deloitte & Touche, LLP
- Tommye Barie, CPA – Emerging Institute
- Arianna Campbell, LSS Black Belt – Boomer Consulting
- Erin Collins, JD – IRS National Taxpayer Advocate
- Patricia Cummings, CPA – Citrin Cooperman, LLP
- Sarah Elliott, CPA, PCC – Intend2Lead LLC
- Kimberly Ellison-Taylor, CPA.CITP, CGMA, CISA – KET Solutions, LLC
- Janet Foutty – Deloitte LLP
- Kelly Grier, CPA – Ernst & Young
- Orume Hays, CPA, CGMA, MST – Hays CPA
- Allison Herren Lee, JD – US Securities & Exchange Commission
- Dawnella Johnson, CPA – Crowe LLP
- Lexy Kessler, CPA, CGMA – Aronson LLC
- Tamera Loerzel – ConvergenceCoaching, LLC
- Carla McCall, CPA, CGMA – AAFCPA
- Guylaine Saint Juste, SHRM-SCP, CAE – NABA Inc.
- Elizabeth Pittelkow Kittner, CPA.CITP, CGMA, DTM – ILTA
- Kecia Williams Smith, CPA, Ph.D. – North Carolina A&T State University
- Danielle Supkis Cheek, CPA, CFE, CVA – MindBridge AI
- Michelle L. Thompson, CPA – Cherry Bekaert LLP
- Amy Vetter, CPA.CITP, CGMA – The B Method Institute
- Tracey Walker, CCD-AP, COB – RSM US, LLP
- Sandra Wiley – Boomer Consulting
- Erica Williams, JD – Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
- Jennifer Wilson – ConvergenceCoaching LLC
Nominations for the 2022 awards were open to the public on the AICPA and CPA Practice Advisor websites, with the final selection of recipients determined by a committee of the AICPA Women’s Initiatives division (https://us.aicpa.org/career/womenintheprofession.) Nominations for 2023 will open in November 2022.
CPA Practice Advisor is an online and print medium for practicing accountants and tax professionals. It covers technology issues related to these professionals and their accounting practices, as well as their interaction with small businesses and individual clients. The medium offers print, online, and e-book versions of its print content, as well as online tools, apps, podcasts, and webcasts (which are eligible for CPA-required Continuing Professional Education (CPE)) .
The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants is the national professional organization for Certified Public Accountants in the United States, with more than 428,000 members in 130 countries.